North Woods Art Tour Criteria for Membership
The North Woods Art Tour (NWAT) was established as a non-profit corporation for an educational, interactive event, taking place primarily at artists’ studios in Northern Wisconsin. This area is defined by the map published on this website and in the brochure.
The specific purpose of the Corporation is to promote and advance interest and skills in the arts among community members through display and demonstration of artwork created by member artists of the Corporation. This shall be done by devoting organizational resources, substantially supported by membership dues, to:
- Improve and advance regional availability and access to member artist works via two regional events, one each in summer and fall, showcasing member artists’ work.
- Improve and advance technical and design skills among member artists.
- Share improved and advanced art skills with the public via member artist demonstrations.
Eligibility and Application for Membership
- Open to full-time and part-time residents of Northern Wisconsin,* with priority being given to full-time residents. (*Area is defined by the map published on this website and in the brochure.)
- Applicants will be evaluated through a jury process on the artistic merits of their work, which is to be of their original design.
- See Deadlines and Fees below.
Expectations of Members
- All members are required to have liability insurance during the tour. It is the responsibility of each member to consult their insurance carrier to obtain coverage.
- All members are required to have a Wisconsin Seller’s Permit.
- All members must purchase and display the official North Woods Art Tour banner to display at their location, and the official North Woods Art Tour road signs for the traffic approaches to their studios as needed.
- Attendance at the meetings of the membership shall be a high priority, but attendance at one is required.
- A contribution to the tour’s ongoing work through participation on one of the standing committees is required.
- All members are required to donate a piece of art to the annual WXPR art auction in the late summer/fall.
There are FOUR membership categories for Artists:
- Partially-Vested Guest Artist – $150/yr.
Definition: A partially-vested artist does not have their own venue during the Tour and therefore must partner with an existing Studio member to show and sell their work. They are willing to have the experience of participating in the Tours at a discounted fee but with minimal advertising space in the brochure and website. An artist can participate as a partially-vested Guest Artist for an unlimited amount of time. All new artists in this category must be fully juried into the organization. Partially-vested Guest Artists pay an annual membership fee.
- Fully-Vested Guest Artist – $250/yr.
Definition: A fully-vested Guest Artist does not have their own venue during the Tour and therefore must partner with an existing Studio member to show and sell their work. They want to have the full experience of participating in the Tours, including equal advertising space in the brochure and website, and are willing to pay the full fee for this opportunity. All new artists in this category must be fully juried into the organization. Fully-vested Guest artists pay an annual membership fee.
(Basically, the difference between the two guest artist categories is that the fully-vested will get full advertising space on the brochure as studio and gallery artists.)
- Studio Artist – $250/yr.
Definition: An artist who creates and sells their own work at their home or private studio during the Tour. Two additional family members are allowed in this category, whether working collaboratively or separate art. All new studio members must be juried into the organization. Studio Members pay an annual membership fee. Studio members can host other artists during the tour. All Studio members receive equal advertising space in the brochure and website. Studio members are limited to a maximum number of 3 (three), in any combination, of either fully-vested Guest Artists or partially-vested Guest Artists during each Tour.
- Gallery Artist – $350/yr.
Definition: An artist member who:
- owns a brick-and-mortar retail operation that is licensed as a business and operates in the community with regular business hours.
- displays and sells both their own work and the work of other artists from whom the gallery owner takes a consignment. It is encouraged to have some of these other artists demonstrating during the tour hours.
Deadlines & Fees
- The deadline for 2022 NWAT has passed.
- Deadline for 2023 NWAT – October 15, 2022
- Non-refundable Jury fee $20 with application
- November 1 – Notification of Acceptance
- December 1 – Tour Fees Due
- Partially-Vested Guest Artist – $150
- Fully-Vested Guest Artist – $250
- Studio Artist – $250
- Gallery Artist – $350
- Artists are required to serve on at least one committee. If an artist or gallery chooses not to volunteer time, there is an additional fee of $200.
Contact Betty Christian with questions or to receive an application.
715-892-6431 or Email Betty